DataFlex Data Pump is a tool to convert DataFlex data (the embedded data format) to Microsoft SQL Server (Express). The advantages are numerous, connectivity from a wide variety of tools, and a dramatic increase of performance are the main ones. It is developed in DataFlex, the state-of-art software development tool from Data Access Worldwide.
The Studio of DataFlex Data Pump allows users to set up tasks to periodically convert sets of data, based on a filelist.cfg. These tasks can be scheduled, thus allowing the SQL data to be refreshed with the latest data from the DataFlex database as often as required.
The programming logic used in DataFlex Data Pump is optimized for performance and stability. It is expected that very few systems would be too large, not to be able to produce a new copy of SQL data overnight, each day.
DataFlex Data Pump offers an easy and attractive way for developers and end-users to get acquainted with SQL, with no investment or risk for the existing, running DataFlex application. In particular in combination with Dynamic AI, a whole new world of Business Intelligence will open up, and bring the system to a new level quickly, and without risk.
Microsoft SQL Server Express can be downloaded for free (!) and offers enough capabilities for most situations.
Product Configuration & Licensing
DataFlex Data Pump can be installed on one computer. Preferably it is installed on the same server at which the DataFlex data resides as well as the SQL Server.
- DataFlex Data Pump Studio creates tasks in the Windows Task Scheduler. This has the advantage that no application needs to stay up and running; the Windows Task Scheduler will execute the migrations automatically at set times.
- The Studio offers the capability to send notifications. DataFlex Data Pump can send out an email message after each data conversion or only when something went wrong.
- DataFlex Data Pump is designed to make it easy to setup a SMTP connection to Googles mail service to send notifications. All you need is a Google Mail account.
- Each data migration generates a log file, reflecting the time for converting each table and showing what possible errors occurred.
- DataFlex Data Pump has been built with DataFlex and therefore requires a DataFlex Client license to run. If no DataFlex Client is installed then the installation process will install a single user Client License, to be used with DataFlex Data Pump exclusively.
License, installation and registration
DataFlex Data Pump is licensed per computer; each license is single-user.
The process of installation consists of three phases:
- Initial installation will result in an evaluation version of the product. The evaluation period is set to a maximum of 60 days.
- Upon entering a registration-code, the license is registered and the evaluation-period restriction is removed.
- After registration a 60-day period for activation applies. If people have a problem to activate due to internet connectivity issues etc. a manual process can be followed here.
While DataFlex Data Pump runs in evaluation mode, a limited use time of 60 days is in effect and a maximum of the first 10 tables in a filelist.cfg can only be converted.
The number of activations is monitored and Data Access Worldwide preserves the right to disable further activations for a specific serial-number, if circumstances may indicate unlicensed use of the software. In such cases, actions will be taken to investigate and if applicable, legal actions will be taken.
Subscription & Upgrade Policies for DataFlex Data Pump
To ease the process of providing new DataFlex Data Pump features, enhancements and bug fixes, all new licenses include a 1-year software subscription starting on the date of purchase.
Subscriptions must be renewed annually on a continuous, year-to-year basis to maintain the entitlement to renew. If a Software Subscription lapses, the Software License continues although further updates and new releases will not be provided.
DataFlex is a registered trademark of Data Access Corporation; DataFlex Data Pump is a trademark of Data Access Corporation.
- Microsoft Windows XP SP 3 Professional (32 bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP 2 Home Premium or higher (32/64 bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium or higher (32/64 bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP 2 (32 bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP 1 (32/64 bit)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher